Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tuesday Morning Musings

Another lovely late summer day in New England.  Cool and crisp with the sun shining warm on the still green trees.  One starts to think about horticulture shows, fairs, baseball playoffs, football, soccer, pumpkins, apples and mums.  Curling up with a good book on the deck with a morning cup of hot chocolate. 
 Present reads are Trish Baldrige's autobiography published  in 1968 (a book sale find from this past weekend).  What a lady- and I do mean lady in every sense of the word. If you would like to read about life in post-WWII Paris, Italy in the 1950s and the inner social workings of the Kennedy Administration this book is a recommended read.  I will not wax on with a review but I will say that I haven't been able to put this book down since I picked it up yesterday morning.  
I just finished reading a biography on Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.  The book was published back in 1954 and is truly a sentimental bit of fluff. Albeit an enjoyable sentimental bit of fluff.  I always find it amusing to read contemporary biographies on historic figures especially published pre-1974.  I do not care to make sweeping statements or generalize,  but one ususally finds the subjects of said biographies are presented in a favorable light. 
I also cannot seem to get my nose out of Peter Walsh's It's All Too Much.  This book, which is about decluttering and organizing one's home has been quite helpful.  I will not say that I live in a home that is worthy of one of Peter's former Clean Sweep shows,  but having lost a parent in 2007 and incorporating quite a bit of said parent's stuff into our own home has been a bit of a challenge. Fortunately we have enough space for what I inherited. 
 However, I must do something about my book addiction.  As my husband says:  "We do not live in a house but a library with beds".  I will have to say that it is under control at the moment and our library will be benefitting from the donations for their Fall Book Sale. 
I do have to find a bit of fiction to add to the mix of my reading.  A look through the TBR pile is in order.  I am thinking about a Renaissance or Georgian set historical though some of the classics on my book shelves are beckoning as well. :SIGH: 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere, and I agree, you do live in a library with beds. Isn't that the best kind of house? Yes, you do need to get some fiction into your reading rotation.

    Off to update my own blog. Huggles!

    ReplyDelete